A workplace injury can be devastating. A permanent injury, even more so.
The TOJ program is designed to help people who are no longer able to go back to their regular job and employer. The worker develops skills and gains work experience while you receive financial and other support from WCB during your new employee’s training period. This program is designed to help employers bring a new employee into a position.
The cost of the TOJ program is shared between you and WCB
As part of the TOJ program, we will reimburse a percentage of the salary you pay your new employee while they learn the new job.
The percentages of reimbursement varies and depends on the related skills and abilities the new employee brings to the position. These amounts are negotiated with the case manager or service provider. It's a simple process—a contract can be completed in minutes.
The duration and amount of financial assistance varies and depends on the skills and abilities needed for the position. Typically TOJ programs run up to nine months, depending on the complexity of the skills needed to perform the job and amount of training required.
We will help you by:
- Identifying the on-the-job training skills needed and developing a suitable training plan with you.
- Coordinating and covering the costs for any outside courses or training.
- Providing in-person support from a team of experienced professionals.
- Providing subsidy for training wages.
- Coordinating ergonomic assessments and workplace modifications (if applicable).
- Prescreening employees who are a good fit for your organization.
The program benefits both you and your new worker:
You and your new worker can both benefit using TOJ. Your worker develops skills and gains work experience while you receive financial assistance from WCB during the training period. Other benefits include:
- Protection for the costs of any injury or re-injury that might occur during a TOJ program.*
- Access to a skilled employment pool.
- Save time with prescreening and recruitment.
- Save money on training costs/wages during the training period.
- You will have a fully-trained staff member who will contribute to the company.
People hired through the TOJ program are covered by WCB. If a worker is injured or aggravates a previous injury during the TOJ program, the claim costs are applied to the industry and not your WCB account.
Ready to get started?
If you’ve got a position you think could be a good fit, let us know. We’re looking for entry level positions that have room for growth and development. But other positions will work as well. Please call at 1-866-498-4694 or fill out this online form.
*This benefit only applies to employers covered by WCB-Alberta.