Fact sheets

This series of fact sheets provides you with information on a variety of topics. If you still have questions, or can't find the information you're looking for, please contact us.

Account information

  • Account eligibility
    Learn about the criteria we consider when determining if an applicant is a business owner or a worker.
  • New account holders
    Find out more about your responsibilities as an employer, what optional personal coverage is, as well as the online services available through myWCB.


Alberta employer performance data


  • Claim file disclosure
    When there’s a claim file disclosure request, personal information is protected and appropriately released under the Workers’ Compensation and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Acts.
  • Employer appeals consulting
    It's important that you understand the claim decisions associated with your account. We can help you understand the policies, legislation and facts used to make a decision.
  • Fairness reviews
    Learn about the Fairness Review Officer and Fair Process Review Centre.
  • Interim relief
    Learn about interim relief while waiting for a decision on an issue under review or appeal.
  • Payment of interest on retroactive premiums appeal decisions
    Interest is paid to you if the Appeals Commission awards you with a refund on the premiums you've already paid.
  • Questioning a WCB-Alberta decision
    If you disagree with a decision on your account, there's a process in place if you'd like to have the decision reviewed.

Claims and benefits

  • Medical investigation benefits
    This fact sheet outlines when wage loss benefits may be paid during a medical investigation.
  • Claims correspondence
    You can receive most of your claims correspondence online through myWCB. If you sign up for this option, all claim-related correspondence will automatically be sent electronically. The exception is correspondence with attachments and resends, which will still be sent by mail or fax.
  • Cost of living adjustment (2021)
    For compensation purposes, a worker’s benefits reflect his or her earnings at the time of injury. The annual cost of living adjustment (COLA) restates the worker’s date-of-accident earnings in current dollars so today’s benefits reflect the worker’s real wage loss.
  • Employment health benefits
    If your worker’s date of accident was between September 1, 2018 and April 1, 2021, you're required to continue to pay the health benefits of your worker for up to one year following their date of accident.
  • No time-lost claims processing
    This fact sheet outlines the steps used for processing a no-time-lost claim. This is when a worker returns to regular duties without losing time from work beyond the day of injury and doesn't have a permanent disability.
  • Requesting a claim file
    Find out how you can request a copy of your worker's claim file for appeal or cost relief purposes.
  • T5007 summary report
    This is a list of your employees who will receive a T5007 tax form from WCB.
  • Transferring claim costs
    There are times when claim costs can be transferred to another employer when it's determined that the claim was a result of negligence on the part of the other employer or their worker.
  • Workplace fatalities
    Information on the benefits and services available to the surviving dependants of an employee lost in a workplace fatality.


Injury support services

  • Back injury program
    The back program incorporates a case plan that uses the combination of early intervention and the identification of modified work as its basis.
  • Medical panels
    Medical panels provide impartial, independent decision making to resolve medical issues that affect an injured worker's right to compensation.
  • Shoulder injury program
    This program minimizes the effects of shoulder injuries by using a combination of a specialized assessment and various treatments.


  • Minimum premium
    A minimum premium amount is charged to make sure there's an equal distribution of costs among employers.
  • Poor performance surcharge (PPS)
    PPS applies to employers who have reached the maximum surcharge for their size in the large employer experience rating plan.
  • Premium audits
    A premium audit is a review of your financial reporting system, verifying the earnings you’ve reported to WCB.
  • Premium rate statement
    A premium rate statement advises you of discounts or surcharges to your industry rate.
  • Premium relief for employers (2020)
    Measures taken to provide premium relief for private sector employers in 2020.
  • Protecting the workers' compensation system
    When someone is intentionally dishonest to obtain money or services to which they are not entitled, there are repercussions for all of us. Find out more about how you can help protect the workers' compensation system from misuse.
  • Safety associations
    Safety associations are a great resource to tap into. They can help you continue to build your safety program, provide you with safety resources, and more. Find out how they can help you.

Industry Custom Pricing (ICP)

Reporting earnings

Reporting an injury

Return to work

  • Bringing your injured worker back to work safely
    A list of accommodation strategies to consider when bringing your injured worker back to work after an illness or accident.
  • Duty to cooperate
    Workers and employers both have a duty to cooperate in all aspects of a worker’s safe return to work. Find out more about the role you play in your worker’s claim.
  • Egregious conduct
    In the event modified work ends or is suspended due to a worker’s egregious conduct, WCB will pay benefits as though the modified work is still in place. Learn more about egregious conduct.
  • Know your obligations after a workplace injury
    If your worker’s date of accident was between September 1, 2018 and March 31, 2021, it's your responsibility to offer them modified work after a workplace injury or illness.
  • Return to work planning meetings
    These meetings are used to develop a customized return-to-work plan that ensures your worker can return to work safely.
  • Temporary modified work
    Temporary modified work includes any changes, restrictions or limitations to your injured worker's regular job duties.
  • Train and Place program
    This program provides group training to a worker that is tailored to your specific employment needs. After training, the worker starts their training-on-the job opportunity with you, continuing to learn and enhance their skills on the job.
  • Training-on-the-job program
    This training program is designed to help injured workers who are no longer able to go back to their regular job. The worker develops skills and gains work experience while you receive financial assistance from WCB during the training period.
  • Virtual assessments
    Secure virtual assessment and treatment services are available from all providers. Find out what this means for you and your worker.
  • Work assessments
    A work assessment is designed to provide you financial assistance to help an injured worker return to work and learn new skills outside of the date of accident position. It can also be used to determine a worker’s capability for employment or suitability for a specific job or skills area.

Services for employers